Environment in Which You Live
In day to day life, we experience and absorb the things that are around us. The environment in which you live has a pivotal role in shaping our lives. Whether this is molding our relationships with friends, family, business, institutions, or even ourselves, the environment provides a lens through which we view aspects of our lives. In turn, the adage "That is why we are a product of our environment," is so ubiquitous. To contextualize this idea, imagine that you live in an area where scarce resources are causing you to develop mental traits to enhance your survival in such an environment. Imagine further that you use the aforementioned traits in a "fish out of water" scenario where you are in an area where there is excess and luxury. Surely, you would be out of place when compared to someone native to the environment. Therefore, our environment dictates who we are.
Furthermore, the environment you are around will dictate your expectations which is what you will set out to do but it starts with your environment. For example, I come from a single parent household in a poor neighborhood where there are shootings, drugs, and violence everywhere. Many might assume that would mean since I believe you are a product of your environment that would entail my success is capped to mirror those around me. This couldn't be furthest from the truth.
My environment molded me in such a way that I see the drugged and intoxicated roam the streets. I see the way shootings affect those that are close to me. I can see how this environment can cripple ambition and encourage people to fall into the same generational patterns that led them to stay in this environment. However, I see it as a reason to strive for more. I am driven and dedicated to my studies because I want to be more than what is around me. I have many loving friends, two wonderful siblings, and a mother I adore. This circle of people continues to uplift me when times seem bleak. To illustrate my thesis, suppose I was in a rich neighborhood with all the stereotypical bells and whistles. Would my reasoning for wanting to be successful still be the same? Surely, not.
I’m conclusion, an individual being a product of their environment entails it being a driving force behind your actions and your perception of the world around you. I feel as though I am in a fortunate position in the sense that I am attending college classes while diligently working toward my diploma. Others can not say the same. All some people know are the streets. Without a support group, they turn to gang-related activities to provide money for themselves and their family. They utilize illegal firearms and cars they stole from people who live in their neighborhoods. People simply have unfortunate and complex incidents in their lives that can easily dictate whether or not they follow the proverbial straight and narrow or a dangerous life.
Hi, I agree with your idea that we are products of our environment, because so much of our lives are defined by our environment. One's environment is not just defined by the place that the person lives in, but by the community, family members, stability, and other aspects. The environment can make or break someone based on the factors that a person encounters.
ReplyDeleteglad you are able to come out of the hardships of your environment wish you all the best - aliyah wimberly
ReplyDeleteHi Sara, I also stated that we are products of our environment. Even so, I think expectations play a role in our outcomes. For example, you mentioned that you live in a poor neighborhood, where you witness shootings, violence, and drugs being taken place in the streets. There can be an expectation of you doing better than what surrounds you; an expectation that comes from family or yourself. This expectation of striving for better can be a combination of being a product of your environment and expectation. I believe expectations depends on environment.
ReplyDelete^- Vanesa Munoz
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteGreat response to a complicated question.