Sisterhood

 Sisterhood



I feel I've always been in some type of organization that made me feel the sense of sisterhood or brotherhood; Whether it was student council, NHS, troop 7124, or now girls who code. Growing up I went to a kindergarten through 8th grade school. We hadn't had a student council for a really long time and with the help of my counselor we reinitiated a student council at our school. During 6th grade I was the vp and in 7th and 8th grade I was president. I put so many hours into the student council. I absolutely loved knowing every single name inside the school starting new programs and activities that are still at the school today. I really felt like I left my Mark at a school that I went to for 9 years and it makes me feel proud and good of myself. Inside of theater I knew I was going to like theater but I really came out with some amazing friends that I hopefully will stay with forever.  Theater is a lot more rough than someone may think looking from the outside. In theater you don't just play around and recite a few lines. It's rigorous. Sometimes you're learning 15 to 30 pages of dialogue and you have to learn it in a whole different speech pattern. You have to act as if you're someone else. You don't walk the same way, you don't talk the same way, you don't give off the same energy. When you're in theater although you say certain lines and Fountain lines to be just one word you question everything you do. If my part is a background character that says your change is $5.30 my job as the actor is to give that person a name, give that person a description, you've got a background so it's not just me you saying align it is. Person saying align. There is so much more that goes into theater that no one sees and all of those things that you don't see have really helped me in my personal life. I can always go back to that theater family and I can ask them to help me out. Peter has helped me memorize things and cake accounts of certain people's actions and helps me try and think from different perspectives and helps me to try and understand other people. Now I'm starting a girls who code loop which is a little bit like a club a little bit like a sorority and it is supposed to be an organization that helps girls who code and those in the stem field that are female or non-binary to feel like they have a place. In computer science there are about 22% female 78% male working in the field and I feel like the females should help each other to change. Number. Just as my brotherhoods or sisterhood have helped me in my past, I believe that the girls who code can help many girls in the future and in the present here at NJCU. I think it's so important to have a system that brings people together whether you're in a sorority or you're in a sport it's a community that builds you up. I couldn't think of a more perfect thing to have for those in the stem field then the program that is offered with the college loops. Hopefully all goes well and I have my college whoop running next semester. This shines through in the other Wes Moore when Wes starts to accept that he is now at that military school. Having the sense of communities helps Wes to not go down the dark path he was on in his previous school.


Comments